Menu: December 10-16

Now I am sure that you all realize that just because I post a menu here in a certain order, that doesn't mean we eat each meal on exactly that day.  Yes, I plan to cook that way and some weeks the menu gets made in the order I post it in, but sometimes plans change and we may end up going out, or rearranging the order of meals to fit the time I have available to cook.  This week, for example, has already thrown my plan off and it's only Monday!!  Swim practice for my son changed time and location today and therefore I won't have time to cook.  Such is life and you have to roll with it.

No good bargains again this week at the grocery store.  I decided to continue with avoiding beans and easing up on the Indian food.  I do love Indian but all that rice, naan, and samosas aren't doing my waistline any favors.

Sunday: frittata with andouille sausage, bell peppers, pepper jack cheese
Monday: out
Tuesday: Curry beef bowl
Wednesday: pizza
Thursday: turkey-sweet potato hash with spinach
Friday: out
Saturday & Sunday: meals with family

I make frittatas often.  My son doesn’t like eggs but my husband and I do.  The ingredients change every time.  I always use the same amount of eggs: 6 whole eggs and 2 whites.  The meats, veggies and cheese are often just whatever I have leftover/on hand.  Two andouille sausages were left from a previous week’s red beans and rice, and I thought diced red and green bell peppers would taste good with those.  I often put spinach or shredded zucchini in there for variety.  Cook the veggies/meat first on the stove, beat the eggs and stir them in, top with cheese and pop the skillet into a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes.

On a prior post I mentioned that I was trying a few recipes from Paleo Magazine.  There was a curry beef bowl in the issue, but this one from The Woks of Life blog popped up on Pinterest and frankly looked like a better recipe.  I cooked it for the first time tonight: delicious, but the potatoes took so long to cook that this may become more of a weekend recipe. 

Pizza is something that I cut waaaaaaayyyy back on to lose weight.  But if I pile some veggies on it I don’t feel too bad about making it at home.  I found a ready-made pizza sauce that had no sugar in it, and I will put turkey Italian sausage, cooked spinach, and sun-dried tomatoes on a Stonefire crust with some mozzarella cheese.  Should make for a nice fast dinner.

And our first recurring menu item is....the turkey hash from Paleo magazine!!  It appeared right here on the November 26 post and hey, here it is again.  Obviously a hit with the family!

As Ralphie says in  the movie A Christmas Story, "I could feel the Christmas noose begin to tighten."
Yes it's getting closer all the time!  I have a dinner menu for the big day but no ideas for the days surrounding, argh.  And stuff will need to be prepped in advance....anybody got a paper bag I can breathe into?

Comments

Popular Posts