Christmas Dessert Buffet: a Fantasy Menu

I try not to overdo it with the holiday desserts any more.  My waistline and my health-conscious spouse would not appreciate a never-ending parade of sweets.  But hey, a girl can still dream right?  And so I came up with this "fantasy dessert buffet" menu which I think hits all the flavor notes of the holiday season.  Let me know if you agree!

Courtesy Martha Stewart Living

Are these not the cutest?  Sugar-dusted Macaroon Trees from Martha Stewart herself (QUEEN).  These are full of coconut and vanilla, they smell and taste divine.  My son has made these with me several times because the cookies are so easy to make.

Don't steal this photo of my kid OK?

My son has joined me a lot in the kitchen over the years. He was very proud of this Pumpkin-orange cake when we baked it a few years ago! From Cooking Light Magazine, this is a lovely combination of pumpkin cake and cream cheese frosting decorated with mandarin orange slices and pomegranate seeds.  Try to dry off the seeds a bit before you put them on the cake--you don't want the red juice leaking out over the frosting.  I buy a whole pomegranate and seed it myself.  The seeds you can buy in the produce section of the grocery store have Vitamin C or something as a preservative and I don't care for the taste.

Now add a classic Pecan pie to the spread--'nuff said.  Need a recipe?  Use the one on the Karo corn syrup bottle.  You're welcome ;-)

My mom cooked gingerbread from a boxed mix when I was a kid, and we topped it with huge dollops of Cool Whip.  Now that it is 2017 and not 1977, I am making the Gingerbread Layer Cake from Smitten Kitchen for my work potluck party.  I'm sure to have a flashback like Proust biting into a madeleine....

Courtesy Fine Cooking/Taunton Media

I adore mint and chocolate together, and these Mint Chocolate bars showed up in my new issue of Fine Cooking magazine.  Brownies topped with mint buttercream and chocolate ganache? *dies* Maybe I will get time to make these, if not they are definitely going in the file for next year!!

In case the food coma hasn't hit yet, there is just one more dish for the buffet: Pear-Cranberry Pie with Oatmeal Streusel.  I can vouch for this one, as it has graced our holiday table many times.  It has the sour-sweet-crunchy notes that other desserts lack.  Plus, pie!

And visions of sugarplums danced in their heads! Merry Christmas to all!

Comments

Popular Posts