Menu: May 6-12

Hi all and welcome back to my dinner table!  Last weekend was totally whack as far as cooking at home goes.  I ate out twice on Friday, once on Saturday, and twice again on Sunday.  The whole family was on the go every day, sometimes together and sometimes in separate directions.  The month of May is crazy for parents with kids: so many end of year school activities, sports seasons ending and beginning, yadda yadda.  And the hubby and I are ramping up our triathlon/bicycling training so there's that too.  Sometimes you just have to make up a Sucky Rotation Schedule and live by it. But I will try to keep rolling with some dinner menus.

Sunday: out
Monday: teriyaki chicken, broccoli, rice
Tuesday: Pasta with Turkey Meatballs and Bocconcini
Wednesday: chicken sausages, sweet potatoes, peas
Thursday: Chicken Chilaquiles, spicy slaw
Friday: Mothers Day dinner early
Saturday: neighborhood party--need a potluck dish!

I know, I said I would make teriyaki last week but it got pushed out to Monday night.  Some years ago I bought an issue of Cook's Illustrated magazine that had a great recipe for teriyaki sauce.  Combine equal parts sugar and soy sauce, a couple tablespoons mirin, a crushed garlic clove and some grated ginger.  Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat and simmer for about five minutes.  If you like it really syrupy, take it off the heat and let it sit for 20-30 minutes.  I broil some boneless skinless chicken thighs and spoon the sauce over when they are done.  It's good on the rice and broccoli too.  Or try it with salmon!

This next recipe dates back to the late great Everyday Food magazine. I sure miss that little mag, it had some great stuff in it.  For some reason this recipe sat in my memory with a "takes too long to make" tag on it but that is not true at all.  Pasta with Turkey Meatballs and Bocconcini is a perfectly easy weeknight meal.  If you aren't familiar with bocconcini, it is just tiny little balls of mozzarella.  I like the occasional minimally sauced pasta dish, how about you?  We had some yummy grape tomatoes from the local farm stand and they were excellent in this recipe.

Wednesday is hella busy again so it's chicken sausages from the store, baked sweet potatoes and green peas.  I even had to bake the sweet potatoes in the morning before going to work.  That's about as much meal prep as I ever have time for.

Chicken Chilaquiles is one of my husband's favorite things that I make.  But I don't make it as often as I should.  I do love corn tortillas--just the smell of a fresh package is so good.    My store never has canned tomatillos; a jar of green salsa with tomatillos as the main ingredient works in a pinch.  Make a slaw with lime juice, jalapenos and green onions on the side.

It's funny how busy restaurants are on Mothers Day.  Like, maybe Hooters or Twin Peaks or some place like that would have a table available?  LOL.  So we are going somewhere nice on Friday night to celebrate. 

My neighborhood has a big cookout every spring and it's this Saturday.  I need a dessert or side dish to bring, hmmm.....

Have a great week everyone!



Comments

Popular Posts