Menu: May 27-June 2

Wow guys, summer is here!  Except all it has done here is rain, rain, rain.  BUT I think I just saw a glimpse of blue skies, so fingers crossed...  In other late spring/summer news, a bird built a nest on my back porch after we removed the screens.  Gotta wait for those eggs to hatch before I can use the grill again!

Sunday: roast chicken, Gwen Jorgensen's Salad
Monday: spaghetti with turkey, bell pepper and tomato sauce
Tuesday: Mediterranean Orzo Salad, chicken cutlets
Wednesday: (purchased) Chicken Piccata, orzo, sauteed zucchini
Thursday: pool picnic
Friday: out
Saturday:

We went to my family's for part of Memorial Day weekend.  The menu there is always pork and carbs, so I decided a bit of chicken and salad at home would be a good contrast to whatever we ate there!  I have posted about what I call "Gwen Jorgensen's Salad" here before--what an awesome salad.  Arugula, toasted pine nuts, prosciutto, tomatoes and onions, oh my! Make this one now if you haven't tried it yet!

One of my fave spaghetti sauce recipes comes from an old pasta cookbook that I bought long ago as a young bride.  Most recipes in that little book called for an obscene amount of olive oil (half a cup or more) but otherwise came out well. One that has appeared on our table many times is a tomato-based sauce with ground turkey (or turkey Italian sausage), red and green bell peppers, olives, and onion.  A big pinch of dried rosemary is good with this too.  You can make it super chunky or mince the veggies up smaller, whatever floats your boat.  I make this with about a pound of meat, two cans of diced tomatoes, and one each of the peppers and onion.  A clove or two of garlic wouldn't hurt.  Serve over whatever kind of pasta you like best--long strands or shapes like twists or shells.

Oh orzo, how I love thee.  Pasta that looks like rice?  Be still my heart.  Mediterranean Orzo Salad with Feta Vinaigrette is a nice choice during warmer weather.  It is tasty and colorful and easy--the marinade from the artichokes serves as the salad dressing.  I seasoned some chicken cutlets with oregano, lemon zest and salt-free garlic herb mix and sauteed them on the stove (see above: bird nest in grilling area).

Continuing on a pasta kick, my grocery store had Michael Angelo's Chicken Piccata family-size entrees on sale.  We ate this at a friend's house once and liked it.  It is *very* buttery but you don't  have to eat all that butter--but if you do I won't tell.  I serve this over MOAR ORZO because I somehow bought two boxes recently.

That's about it for the week, at least until I figure out what to make on Saturday!  Thanks for visiting!


Comments

Popular Posts