Menu: April 29-May 5

Looks like I lost a week somehow!  Traveling out of town for three weeks in a row will do that to you.

When I was growing up, my family had a farm in rural South Carolina.  My extended family and neighbors used a lot of funny and unique expressions or colloquialisms that I haven't encountered elsewhere.  Like "going to town," which has always been my favorite.  It means to do something with great energy or enthusiasm.  "He's really going to town on that new jigsaw puzzle" or "She really went to town on that pile of laundry and folded it all!"  I assume this comes from Depression-era times (and earlier) when my grandparents, if they went anywhere, traveled by wagon and the rare trip to a town--or anywhere off the farm for that matter--was cause for great excitement.

Anyway, back to the dinner table:

Sunday: pork tenderloin, Green Bean, Tomato and Chickpea Salad, rolls
Monday: vegetable-ham soup
Tuesday: Indian Vegetable Curry, jasmine rice, tandoori chicken samosas (from the store)
Wednesday: out
Thursday: Greek Sheet Pan Chicken Souvlaki and Potatoes
Friday: out
Saturday: teriyaki something

We are having some friends over for dinner on Sunday evening, and I thought pork tenderloins would be a nice entree.  I may season them with Herbs de Provence since I still have a lot of that lingering in my pantry.  This Green Bean, Tomato and Chickpea Salad from Martha Stewart is a nice filling side dish--it's complex enough that I don't feel the need to make an additional side.  I'll get some good break or rolls to round out the meal and friends are bringing the dessert, woot woot!

I made vegetable soup again this week.  The details on what's in it are on this previous post.  I needed something that I could throw together quickly, would cook pretty much unattended and then sit there for a while on the stove until we were ready to eat.  Plus there is always a bit left over that I can have for lunch another day.

If you've been reluctant to try the Indian recipes that I often post because of the large variety of spices used in them, this recipe is coming to your rescue: Indian Vegetable Curry uses only curry powder! You know if it comes from Fine Cooking, it's always going to be a winner.  I love this for giving me a break from wondering what vegetable side I will serve with an Indian dinner.  So many lovely different veggies combine in this dish, all in a yummy sauce made with coconut milk.  Please try this!

Thanks to Publix having chicken on sale for so many weeks in a row, I once again find myself cooking chicken breasts for dinner.  Finding myself also in possession of a bag of tiny new potatoes and half a package of feta cheese, I decided to roll out that chicken souvlaki recipe that I shared back when I first started the blog.  The recipe calls for cooking the chicken for 40 minutes but that's too long.  I am going to start checking the internal temperature of the meat at about 25 minutes and see if that works better.

I am craving Asian flavors again and since I have a great recipe for teriyaki sauce, I think Saturday's meal will feature some broiled chicken thighs brushed with said sauce.  Brown rice and broccoli should do as sides.  Although if salmon is still on sale, I might buy that instead of chicken.  We shall see.

Have a great week and thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular Posts