Menu: March 4-10

Hi and waving! This week almost slipped by me!  Better late than never.  Anyway, welcome back to the dinner table.

Sunday: Korean beef
Monday: Moroccan-Style Chicken Thighs, couscous
Tuesday: out
Wednesday: Southern style vegetable soup, cornbread
Thursday: Pecan-crusted pork tenderloin, green beans
Friday: out
Saturday: Curry Beef Bowls

Jeez I managed to put together a real menu here for a change!  What's gotten into me? I'm on a roll I guess.  Mmmm, rolls.

Just a thought about this Korean beef that I posted last week.  I didn't realize until I went to cook this recipe that it used no vegetables.  I was hyper-focused on the sauce and missed that point entirely!  When I cook Korean beef at home I always include sliced onion, thinly sliced carrots and zucchini, a couple handfuls of spinach and some toasted sesame seeds--none of which were in that recipe.  That's just the way it was done at a restaurant here and I ate it all the time, so I always have that version in my head.  I did like the sauce from last week's posted recipe and also that it was not used as a marinade, which meant I could get a sear on the meat before adding the sauce.  So recipe + my veggies it was a success here.

My ancient collection of recipe clippings from Cooking Light magazine contains yet another gem from days of yore : Moroccan-Style chicken Thighs.  Can't tell you how many times I've cooked this over the years--is a gazillion a real number?  Similar to the Pillsbury contest winner Moroccan chicken I've posted about before, only this one has chickpeas and zucchini in it for a great one-pot meal.  Now you may not have cardamom in your spice rack, but get yourself some before you try to cook this dish.  Order it online if you have to--get the whole spice and grind it.  The smell is out of this world.  I buy it from the Indian grocery because y'all know by now that I love me some Indian spices.

Vegetable soup is something that my grandmother and my mom would make all the time when I was a kid.  This soup always has either a big ham bone or chopped ham in it for flavor.  My mom likes finely chopped cabbage in hers but I usually leave that out.  Publix sells a nice frozen “Gumbo” mix of veggies (okra, corn, tomato, onion) that forms the base of the soup.  I add most of a bag of baby Lima or “Butter” beans, a can of diced tomato, a peeled and chopped russet potato, 6 oz or so of chopped ham, and chicken broth to cover.  Bring it to a boil and simmer 35-45 minutes.  I like to add lots of freshly ground pepper to my soup while it’s cooking.  Make some Jiffy brand cornbread to go with the soup and you’ll be saying “y’all” and “fixin’ to” like you were born and raised down South!

Two recipes are repeating here for the first time; the curry beef bowl and the pork tenderloin were both from that issue of Paleo magazine that I posted about last year.  For your enjoyment, here is the pecan-spice mixture that is rubbed on the two pork tenderloins before roasting at 375 degrees:

1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
1T onion powder
1 T garlic powder
1 t cumin
2 t smoked paprika
2 t chili powder
1 t sea salt

It is spicy but that helps gives the pork a lot of flavor.  Serve some simple green beans to round it out.

Have a great rest of your week and happy dining!


Comments

Popular Posts