Menu: November 5-11

My greatest and most successful menu ever, this one perfectly combines optimum nutrition, taste appeal, ease of preparation, and low cost!

LMFAO ok maybe not.  Just a typical week of dinners for us!

Sunday: out (steak dinner for a relative's birthday)
Monday: White Beans with Kale and Bacon, corn muffins
Tuesday: Moroccan chicken, couscous
Wednesday: out (our usual eat out night, we had kebab platters at a Middle Eastern place)
Thursday: Coconut curry chicken, jasmine rice
Friday: taco night
Saturday: leftovers for lunch, out for dinner (we have a swim meet all afternoon)

Once fall and winter roll around, I like to make White Beans with Kale and Bacon.  It's not soup, just sort of saucy (only one cup of chicken broth to two cans of beans and lots of kale, wilted down) and my family loves that sweet Jiffy cornbread with it.  Like good Southerners should, right?  It's good for nights when we need a quick dinner--like Mondays after the kid's swim league practice.  Bacon and chicken broth were on sale at Publix and this popped right into my head as a good way to take advantage of that special.

Moroccan chicken, (or Salsa Couscous chicken, which is a terrible name IMHO) this shit is the BOMB.  The woman who wrote this recipe won a million dollar recipe contest with it.  It never fails to amaze me with its complexity of flavors, from simple ingredients.  DO NOT MESS WITH THIS RECIPE, OTHER THAN TO USE MEDIUM SALSA NOT MILD.  I swear it's perfect that way.  I always use boneless, skinless chicken thighs in it, and be careful not to boil the sauce too hard or it will break and become too thin.  Just a gentle simmer. If I'm not too tired to bother, a green veggie on the side.

This Momma rides her bike after work on Wednesdays so there is no cooking.  The DH grabs his own dinner and I pick up the kid and take him to one of our favorite fast casual places.

Coconut curry chicken: no link here because there are a million variations on this meal.  Coconut milk, red curry paste, fish sauce, a couple chicken breasts and a bag or so of mixed frozen veg.  Thow in fresh basil if you have it, but I must admit I hate the way it turns black (shudder).

Tacos: Old El Paso FTW!  Yeah I've made the homemade taco seasoning before but I usually just buy the low-sodium version at the store.  Some awesome White Oak Pastures beef, black beans, and whatever toppings you like.  I used to make this red rice as a side but I find it too salty now.

There you go, a typical week.  Next time, the menu for November 12-18.

Comments

Popular Posts