Menu: Jan 14-20

Hope everyone's hungry because here come a bunch of family favorites!

Sunday: out of town
Monday: Roasted Autumn Vegetables & Chicken Sausage, crusty bread
Tuesday: Pork Souvlaki Salad with Black Pepper Tzatziki
Wednesday: Glazed Chicken & Szechwan Noodle Salad, broccoli
Thursday: out
Friday: out again, ugh
Saturday: Chipotle Tamale Pie

After being out of town briefly for the MLK Jr holiday, I was feeling the need for some fresh vegetables in my diet.  I don't subscribe to Eating Well magazine but I must have flipped through an issue somewhere because I have this great recipe for Roasted Autumn Vegetables & Chicken Sausage from one of their issues.  My son doesn't care for Brussels sprouts but my husband and I love them.  Paired with pre-chopped butternut squash from the produce section of Publix, this is an easy and filling meal.  I don't usually buy fancy bread but I picked up a Tuscan boule from the store bakery and we ate it with the veg and sausage. 

Tuesday featured another Fine Cooking favorite: Pork Souvlaki Salad with Black Pepper Tzatziki.  I didn't feel like grilling on a cold night but the broiler was an acceptable substitute.  Recipes from this magazine always have the nutritional information included, which I love, but their fat gram count can be eye-popping.  Fortunately it's usually easy to just cut back on the olive oil to make things more reasonable without compromising the flavor of the dish.  I don't even dress the salad leaves as recommended in the recipe; I just use tzatziki as my dressing.  And I prefer baby spinach for the added nutrition.

Glazed Chicken and Szechwan Noodle Salad is another old favorite from Cooking Light.  I mean c'mon who doesn't like hoisin sauce, right?  My stores don't carry udon noodles but I did find something similar called "hokkien stir fry noodles" and they are a good substitute.  We eat lots of chicken thighs and I especially like giving them the Asian treatment.  You can make some steamed or roasted broccoli for a side dish.

Too much going on to make dinner the next two nights.  But I hope to wrap up the week with Chipotle Tamale Pie.  Long ago when I was a woman of leisure and could watch the "Today Show" in its entirety, I saw a cook-off featuring this recipe, so I went to their web site and printed it out.  It is budget friendly, easy to prepare and since I was raised on Jiffy cornbread, I love to see it used here as the masa substitute.  I like one-dish meals but sometimes I feel guilty about not having an extra vegetable.  My family doesn't like squash or zucchini that much, and it's difficult to come up with non-starchy sides for Mexican-style meals.  So if you have any suggestions, please leave them in the comments!

I hope you'll find these recipes all worthy of a second helping! See you next time!


Comments

  1. Spicy Cole Slaw

    Great accompaniment to your tamale pie, barbecued chicken, enchiladas. Also makes a great base for taco salad—just add shredded chicken or turkey or grilled shrimp, avocado, a sprinkle of cotija cheese and toasted pumpkin seeds, and you’ve got a meal!

    Base

    1 medium head of green cabbage, shredded
    1 red bell pepper, julienned
    3 scallions, chopped fine

    Dressing

    1-2 jalapeƱos, stemmed and seeded
    1 tablespoon shallot, minced
    1 tablespoon garlic, minced
    1 bunch cilantro, loosely chopped (stems and leaves)
    2-3 tablespoons Thai sweet chili sauce (I like the Trader Joe’s brand)
    1 heaping teaspoon ground cumin
    1 scant teaspoon dried oregano
    1 pinch salt
    1/2 cup fresh lime juice or apple cider vinegar

    Blend all ingredients in blender until smooth. Slowly add 1/4 cup olive oil. Pour to taste over cabbage base. (It makes a lot and is a great marinade for grilled chicken or fish).

    Note: Depending on the heat of your jalapeƱos, you may need to add more or less chili sauce. The sweet sauce balances out the heat of the peppers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never have thought to combine cumin with sweet chili sauce; very interesting!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts