Menu: Jan. 7-13

Thanks for dropping by!  I am afraid I don't have a great menu for you this week, things have been kind of crazy.  But I do have a few odds and ends to share.

Sunday: Taco Soup
Monday: out
Tuesday: leftovers *shudder*
Wednesday: eternal ham of Christmas, peas, Five-spice Sweet Potato Pie
Thursday: Broiled Shrimp over Black Bean and Corn Salad
Friday: spaghetti and meatballs
Saturday: uh.....

Taco Soup is one of those pantry meals that I usually don't have success with as far as stocking my pantry with the ingredients!  I always am missing something and have to run to the store.  The super-complicated recipe (not) involves cans of black beans, pinto beans, hominy, yellow corn, diced tomatoes, and green chilis.  Saute 1 lb. of ground beef and half a chopped onion, then add one packet of taco seasoning.  Add the cans AND their liquid to the pot and simmer a while.  NOTE: you should use no-salt or low sodium varieties of the canned beans and veggies or your soup will be too salty.  Using organic stuff gets you a power-up, as the kids say.  A little sprinkle of cheddar cheese doesn't hurt my feelings too much.  Yeah I know, this soup sounds trashy but my kid LOVES it.

My family wailed and made faces because I made them eat leftover curry and some other things one night.  So spoiled!!  I still love them though.

In order to make the ham go down a little easier, and because I also had a pie crust remaining from the Christmas feast, I baked this little gem: Five-Spice Sweet Potato Pie.  Behold!

If you are unfamiliar with Chinese Five-spice powder, it is a blend of  cinnamon, cloves, fennel, star anise and Szechwan peppercorns.  I have a collection of a few recipes that use it--mostly savory--but it really shines in this delicious pie.

This next recipe seems a bit out of season but I am craving something like it after a week of freezing temperatures.  Broiled Shrimp over Black Bean and Corn Salad from Cooking Light sounded refreshing, so I will give it a whirl and let you know if the family liked it.

We usually eat out on Fridays but looks like we'll be home and it's a good time for some easy spaghetti and meatballs.  I like Aidell's brand Italian chicken meatballs and my sauce is this Basic Red Sauce from Martha Stewart Living (yes queen).

Saturday is proving elusive.  Guess I better see what's on sale at Publix...

Til next week!


Comments

Popular Posts