Menu: January 21-27

Hi everyone, thanks for visiting this week.

Anyone have an unusual kitchen tool that they really love?  I have a set of odd sized measuring spoons that I use so much, I wonder how I ever did without them.  The set is one of each: two teaspoon measure, 1/2 tablespoon measure, 1 1/2 tablespoon measure, and lastly a two tablespoon measure.  They are super handy!  What odd tool have you found indispensable in the kitchen?

Here’s our menu for this week:
Sunday: black-eyed peas with ham, collard greens, baked sweet potatoes, Date Spice Loaf cake
Monday: pizza night
Tuesday: BBQ meatballs, Shredded Brussels sprouts with Pecans and Mustard Seeds, baked beans for the kid
Wednesday: baked pork chops with herbes de Provence, leftover peas and greens
Thursday: rotisserie chicken, White Bean, Tomato and Green Bean Salad
Friday: out
Saturday: ???!!!

I am having simpler main dishes this week and focusing more on sides.  Our all-sides Sunday dinner featured the meaty bone from our Christmas ham (DUN DUN DUN!!!!) cooked into a pot of  black-eyed peas. I bought a few bags of dried beans recently when I thought nuclear war with North Korea was imminent.  Nothing like a pot of beans to get you through that nuclear winter, right? Sorry, that's not funny at all.

Date Spice Loaf cake anyone? I had most of a whole package of dates left over from a salad and I was itching to use them.  I remembered this cake.  It will freak you out when you pour the batter into the small loaf pan--my pan was completely full and if it had risen at all, it might have overflowed.  Fortunately it stayed contained and we all enjoyed eating it.  I didn't have any orange liqueur so I soaked the dates in orange juice instead.

Publix had a sale on Aidell's meatballs this week and I bought two packs of the caramelized onion chicken meatballs.  I heat them up in the microwave and toss them with BBQ sauce.  I thought the mustard seeds and pecans that you stir into these shredded sprouts would go well with the BBQ sauce flavors.  My kid gets baked beans instead as his side dish because a 10 year old can only take so much.

Easing into hump day with leftover beans and greens and some (hopefully) yummy sauteed pork chops.  Haven't tried herbes de Provence on chops yet; we'll see how the family likes it.

And the laziness continues with rotisserie chicken from the store!! Any time I have ingredients that I don't use up from a recipe, it bothers me until I come up with another use for that remaining food.  (See: ham bone, dates)  I had feta left from the pork souvlaki last week and I knew I had a few green bean recipes that called for a small amount of feta.  This one from Cooking Light fit the bill nicely.  Green beans, chopped tomato, white beans and feta tossed with dill and lemon juice, mmm.

And as usual Saturday has eluded me.  I'll see what I'm craving by then.

Hope you find something here this week that is worth a second helping.  See you next week!

Comments

Popular Posts