Menu: June 10-16

Hi all. It is always interesting how many different non-food-related factors weigh in to the development of a menu.  What days do I need to exercise after work or on the weekend?  Will I need to take my kid somewhere after school, for sports practice or a club meeting? Are there other events/occasions that I need to keep in mind?  When will I have time to shop?  All of these are things I consider now, in contrast to my days as a young child-free woman with few hobbies, who cooked whatever seemed new and appetizing, as a way to pass the time.

Here’s what we are eating this week:
Sunday: meatballs from The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook, mashed potatoes, broccoli
Monday: Baked Ziti, green salad
Tuesday: Thai Green Curry Shrimp, jasmine rice
Wednesday: out
Thursday: Fragrant Red Lentils, palak paneer, naan
Friday: out (invited to a party)
Saturday: pizza

I was flipping through my copy of The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook and noticed a recipe for glazed meatballs.  It sounded easy enough so I gave it a try.  Mixed reviews from me and the family on this one; it seemed more time consuming than it should have been. It tasted fine but not exceptional enough to try again.  Husband and I agreed that we like our usual Greek Turkey Meatloaf more.

Baked Ziti: hey, I was feeling indulgent because we had done some long bicycle rides over the weekend.  And this ziti makes everything better.  Definitely my number 1 most favorite dish.

Thai Green Curry Shrimp is something that I know I’ve made at least once before, but it didn’t go over well this week and so I may take it out of rotation.  It really is a breeze to make and the only non-pantry ingredient is fresh basil.  Super weekday dish; I hope you will give it a try.

Red lentils cook a bit faster than other kinds of lentils, which makes them another good weeknight choice.  I used this recipe which I have featured here before.  Our favorite Tandoor Chef palak paneer always makes a great accompaniment to the lentils.

Lately my favorite pizza to make at home is a chicken pesto pizza.  I buy prepared pizza crusts (I’m not good at making or stretching dough) and cover them with pesto, cooked chopped chicken breast, artichoke hearts, and soft sun-dried tomato strips.  Add some mozzarella or goat cheese and pop it in the oven!

Hope you all have a great week and many yummy dinners!


Comments

Popular Posts