Menu: June 24-30



Hi everybody, I took a photo of my food for you!  I am not a food photographer but there ya go.  At least it tasted good!

Menu:
Sunday: pork tenderloin, corn on the cob, tomato and mozzarella salad
Monday: teriyaki chicken, carrots, edamame
Tuesday: out
Wednesday: Ginger-sesame chicken lettuce wraps, dumplings
Thursday: Frittata
Friday: out
Saturday: Pasta with Tomato and Almond Pesto

Sunday dinner was pork tenderloins rubbed with a spice mix (the one from Paleo magazine, minus the pecans) and roasted in the oven.  I made a trip to a farm stand for some local corn and tomatoes.  My son has a basil plant growing in our back yard so I was dying for a Caprese type salad.  I made it this way. Tasty!

I make my own teriyaki sauce from a recipe that was published in Fine Cooking some years ago.  Basically it's equal parts sugar and soy sauce, with a crushed garlic clove, grated ginger, and two tablespoons of mirin (mixed with a half teaspoon of  corn starch).  You boil it gently for a few minutes and then--listen now--set it aside for as long as you can, overnight even.  It gets really syrupy that way.  Usually I broil some boneless chicken thighs and put the sauce on once they are cooked, but this is good on steak or salmon too. 

You may already be saying "I don't like lettuce wraps, they are so messy and a pain to eat."  Whatever, just make this meat and eat it however you want: like moo shu, as an Asian burrito, over rice, any way you like.  Ginger-Sesame Chicken Lettuce Wraps are damn good and it cooks so fast you won't believe how soon you are shoveling this deliciousness into your pie hole.  You can thank me later.

Frittatas are another quick-cooking favorite.  You know my usual formula: eight eggs whisked up and stirred into whatever veggies and meat you have that go together (shredded zucchini and bacon; ham and broccoli; asparagus and canadian bacon; etc.).  Top with cheese and maybe a thinly sliced tomato.  Bake at 400 for about 10 minutes.  Make some chicken nuggets at the same time for your kid who won't eat frittatas yet.

Cooks Illustrated keeps a tight fist on their web site access, so this link ain't worth much.  I used to subscribe and when I did, this recipe popped up.  So pay up and subscribe, it's worth it.  I must admit I am not a fan of uncooked tomatoes, but this tomato-almond pesto is AWESOME.  Grape tomatoes are always good in summer--maybe you have a friend with a few bushes?  This pesto is made with a whole pint of them, along with ground-up sliced and toasted almonds.  Blitz it up in the food processor, cook a pound of pasta, toss it together and you are DONE.  Again, you can thank me later....when you are kicked back on the sofa, burping in gentle contentment.


Comments

Popular Posts