Menu: November 25-Dec. 1

Hi all, dropping back in to say hi.  I hate forgetting what I cooked for dinner a week ago, or how I used chicken breasts when they were on sale at the store; therefore back to writing ye olde blog!  I did try some dishes that I haven't had much luck with before and they turned out great, so I'd like to share them with you.
image courtesy Fine Cooking

Curried chicken thighs with cauliflower, apricots and olives is another winner from Fine Cooking.  They had an issue that featured sheet pan dinners and I've made this one a couple of times.  Curried chicken cooks on a sheet pan surrounded by cauliflower florets, dried apricots and green olives.  My apricots used to burn but I realized that I had not soaked them prior to cooking, as the recipe specified.  I soaked them in hot water for five minutes and instructed and what do you know, no burned apricots.  I even had my act together enough to marinate the chicken overnight before making the meal.  A bit of whole wheat or garlic naan bread is nice with this.


Chicken and collards pilau comes from Southern Living magazine and is about the only way I like cook collard greens at home.  My brother grows all kinds of winter greens and he gifted me with a few bags at Thanksgiving.  Chicken and rice is enjoyed in many cultures but this one is a good reflection of the American South, in my opinion.  The andouille sausage and carrots add some good color.  I stirred the rice in after adding the broth and then sort of layered the collard greens on top--then I stirred it about half way through the cooking time.  That kept the rice from cooking unevenly but still cooked down the greens.

These are both nice dishes for fall and winter; the chicken pilau makes a lot of food which makes it ideal for a crowd.  Hope you will enjoy one or both at your dinner table soon.

Comments

Popular Posts