Menu: August 26-Sept. 1

Hi friends.  Summer may be wrapping up in some places but here we are still sweating buckets outside while the cicadas drone on and on.  I like to refer to the sound they make as "the soundtrack to my mental breakdown."  Anyway food makes it all better, right???

Sunday: frittata
Monday: out
Tuesday: chicken curry with veggies
Wednesday:  Fresh Tortellini with Asparagus, Peas and Mint
Thursday:  turkey burgers
Friday: Turkey-Sweet Potato Hash with Spinach
Saturday: Ginger-sesame chicken lettuce wraps

Sunday night we returned home after a weekend trip to Atlanta.  I had just enough stuff in the fridge to throw together a frittata: broccoli, Canadian bacon, some cooked baby potatoes.  I heated that all up in an oven-proof skillet, then poured in eight beaten eggs.  I sliced a tomato and topped it with the slices plus some crumbled feta cheese.  Ten minutes at 400 degrees and dinner is ON.

My own made-up chicken curry was on the menu because Publix had organic chicken as a BOGO sale item.  I used 2 cans of coconut milk (one regular and one light) but in hindsight I think that was too much liquid.  I stir red curry paste and brown sugar into the simmering coconut milk, then poach the chicken in that.  Frozen mixed veggies go in when the chicken is nearly done.  Top it with basil from the garden and serve over rice.

I know it's not asparagus time but it's on sale at the store so Imma gonna eat some.  This recipe from Fine Cooking blows me away each time I make it: Fresh Tortellini with Asparagus, Peas and Mint is a lovely one-pan dinner.  The goat cheese really coats the pasta and makes a yummy sauce.

Turkey-sweet potato hash from Paleo Magazine is another repeat recipe here.  I am hitting all of my quick-cooking one-pan dinners this week!  Well technically this one requires one baking sheet (for the cubed sweet potatoes) as well as a skillet.  Ground turkey and onions are sauteed with a generous amount of fennel seeds, then you stir in the cooked cubed sweet potatoes and some fresh spinach.  When the spinach wilts, you can dig in!
Photo source: Fine Cooking

Ginger-sesame chicken lettuce wraps cook up super quick and have such vibrant flavor that I wanted to have them again this week.  I've posted this recipe before and I hope you'll give it a try.  Again you can cook rice or rice noodles for this if your family finds lettuce wraps too messy or fussy.

My previous post had one of my favorite turkey burger recipes--do go take a look if you missed it, it's perfect for a Labor Day cookout.

Hope you all have a great week and thanks for dropping by.




Comments

Popular Posts