Menu: April 15-21

Hi all, long time no see!  We were in Boston Saturday through Tuesday for the marathon so I pulled this menu out of the air when we got home Tuesday afternoon.  I think I need to figure out how to make a recipe index for this blog.  Trying to remember if I've posted something before is getting tricky.  I know most recipe blogs never repeat anything but this isn't one of those blogs now, is it?  Nope, this is what I'm really cooking, and so of course some favorites will show up again and again!  Hopefully that will encourage you to try those faves as well.

Sunday & Monday: out
Tuesday: Pork Egg Roll in a Bowl
Wednesday: Chicken Green Chili with White Beans
Thursday: jambalaya, sauteed greens
Friday: out
Saturday: fresh ravioli with veggies or salad (not sure)

Egg Roll in a Bowl sounded like a good choice when I'm grocery shopping at 7pm, LOL.  I've made this twice now and the family shovels it in with no complaints.  Beef is our meat of choice though, not pork.  Most grocery store pork is too bland for my taste; I'd rather have some pasture-raised beef and I am lucky that my local Publix has Georgia's own White Oak Pastures ground beef for sale.  If you have never heard of them I encourage you to look at their web site and learn about how they operate--it's a fascinating family business.

Chicken Green Chili with White Beans has been in my clipping file FOREVER but I have never made it.  I had some chicken breasts in the freezer from a recent sale and I was getting tired of curry.  My son likes hominy and I am adding a can of this as well as the white beans.  The reviews on the recipe are mixed; if I have time I will come back and update you on how mine turned out. UPDATE: seems like a winner!  I used chicken breasts since I already had some instead of leg quarters as specified in the recipe; also used canned whole chilis and chopped them because: lazy.  I sauteed the onion and garlic, added broth and 1 cup water, then poached the chicken for about 20 minutes.  Followed the recipe as written after that.  Next time I will try to have some cilantro and cheese, maybe a chopped avocado too as toppings to make it look fancier.

Zatarain's jambalaya mix was on sale again, woot woot!  You all know I like to saute some trinity (celery, onion, green bell pepper) then add the rice mix and a sliced kielbasa sausage.  Smells heavenly while the rice cooks!  Trying some sauteed Swiss chard on the side this time.  My son will probably give me the stink eye over the greens because he prefers baby lima beans as a side with his jambalaya.  Maybe I will make cornbread too, that should cheer him up.

Publix also had Giovanni Rana brand fresh pasta on sale again and I caved; I love ravioli and tortellini.  I may toss them with pesto and some sort of veggies, or else make a salad on the side.  I'll see what looks good at the store later this week.

Wishing you a week of great meals!


Comments

Popular Posts