Menu: Feb. 25-March 3

Hi all, my apologies for getting my days a bit mixed up on that last post.

I am hitting that sad four-way stop of no money, no time, no good sales, and too much eating out right now.  Just trying to keep it real here and work out some reasonable meals.

Sunday: uh, see last week
Monday: spaghetti
Tuesday: Fragrant Red Lentils, roasted cauliflower, chicken samosas
Wednesday: lasagna, Gwen Jorgensen's Salad
Thursday: out
Friday: out again, kill me now
Saturday: Korean Beef, rice

Throwing together some speedy weeknight spaghetti on Monday because I need something quick from the pantry/fridge.  I have two Italian sausages left in the freezer, an onion and bell pepper in the crisper, and I always have a box of pasta and some canned tomatoes around.  Maybe a spoonful or two of pesto for flavor.  I don't eat pasta as much any more; when I was overweight I would eat tons of it, with the inevitable result on the scale.  Now a serving for me is so small that I feel bitchy when I eat it, so I don't make it as much as my family would like.  Oh well, enough of my first world problems.

I love this recipe for curried lentils from Cooking Light.  It's probably the main reason that I built up my supply of Indian spices.  Bonus: this recipe uses no heavy cream, unlike many Indian veggie dishes, so it's easy on the waistline.  My local Indian grocery sells red lentils--don't use any other kind here, because it won't be the same.  Use vegetable broth, or a combination of chicken broth and water, instead of water alone to cook the lentils to enhance the taste of this dish.  The recipe calls for a separate final step of sauteing chili and green onions in butter, but if I am super rushed I will put the chili in at the beginning and either skip the butter/green onions, or just stir in a pat at the end.  Whatever floats your boat.  I have another box of Tandoor Chef samosas in the freezer; I know my son will be happy to see those on his plate.

Tuesday I have enough time after work to bake some Michael Angelo's lasagna.  No shame in my frozen prepared food game.  Have you ever read the ingredient labels on this brand?  It's all REAL FOOD. No preservatives or weird stuff you can't even pronounce.  And I am pairing it with a fabulous salad that I saw shared on Instagram by Olympic gold medalist Gwen Jorgensen. 
Photo from @gwenjorgensen

Arugula, red onion, grape tomatoes, shaved Parmesan, toasted pine nuts, prosciutto and a good balsamic vinaigrette.  Guys, I don't even LIKE salad but I can eat this any day, it is so tasty!! 

I know I am so fortunate to be able to eat out.  It makes my family happy to go to their favorite places and not have to worry about washing dishes after I cook.  But it is so hard to lose weight that way.  I shouldn't complain, but I will just a little bit.  Please forgive me.

Saturday will be a busy day as always, and I want to make something tasty and fast for dinner.  Korean Beef fits the bill.  I posted it on a menu back in November but didn't link to a recipe.  This one from Damn Delicious has good proportions of ingredients and I will give it a whirl.  Ground beef works best for me in this recipe because my weak-ass glass cooktop won't sear any other kind of beef (like flank steak) worth a damn. 

Hope you all have a great week and eat some great food!

Comments

Popular Posts