Menu: Feb. 18-24

*UPDATED: to add Sunday dinner, and an opinion on Tuesday

Hi and welcome back to the dinner table!

I went out of town for the long weekend with the family unit so no recipe for Monday night.  Did you make the baked ziti yet, that I posted last week?  If not I heartily recommend it, even on a weeknight!

Monday: out
Tuesday: Speedy Sausage, Tomato and White Bean Soup, rolls
Wednesday: a 10-minute meal
Thursday: chicken curry
Friday: out
Saturday: Greek Sheet Pan Chicken Souvlaki and Potatoes
Sunday: Fresh Tortellini with Asparagus, Peas and Mint

There was a sale on chicken breasts at the grocery store this week so I stocked up.  Chicken curry and the sheet pan dinner are both making encore appearances here.  I had most of the ingredients on hand for the soup which I discovered when filing a holiday issue of Fine Cooking, so that made the menu as well, for the first time.  I need a super-quick meal for one night this week and I'm using some prepared foods and not feeling guilty about it one little bit!

Speedy Sausage, Tomato and White Bean Soup made me wonder a bit: how can something with this many ingredients really be all that speedy?  But after reading the recipe through, I am believing the author and going for it on a weeknight.  Seems hearty enough too, which is always a concern of mine when making soup for dinner.  I bake some small wheat rolls to serve with the bowls of soup. UPDATE: dang, this is some good soup.  I made it with turkey Italian sausage which was fine, but I bet pork sausage would make it even more lovely and rich.  We all ate it like we were starving.  Definitely a keeper!

Got ten minutes?  I can heat up some Aidell's chicken meatballs with caramelized onion, cook some little green peas, and microwave some Simply Potatoes mashed potatoes and dinner is on!!  I have made some variation of this since having my son.  A baby who only sleeps about fifteen minutes is a big incentive to increase your productivity in the kitchen, let me tell you.  Now he's a big kid but some nights it's great to just have a hot dinner at home in a short (really short) amount of time.  I would love to hear about your fastest not-prepped-in-advance, non-pasta dinner ideas!

I blogged about chicken curry before but I don’t think I linked to a recipe.  I have used this Thai Chicken Curry recipe from Tastes Lovely a few times and it’s a good one that includes all the basic ingredients.

We really enjoyed Greek Sheet Pan Chicken Souvlaki and Potatoes when I made it before, so I am looking forward to Saturday night's dinner.  Lots of veggies, seasoned chicken and that tasty feta cheese topping, mmm.  Easy clean-up too!

I have said it before and I'll say it again: Fine Cooking publishes the best recipes out there.  The dishes almost never disappoint and some of them produce an almost out of body experience when you eat them.  A fine example of this is their Fresh Tortellini with Asparagus, Peas and Mint.  Cheese tortellini, lovely spring veggies, pine nuts and a sauce made from goat cheese??? *dies* Asparagus is in season now, but get the skinny kind if you can--not the big fat stalks--skinny works better in this dish, IMHO.

Hope to see you all again next week!

Comments

Popular Posts