Menu: Dec. 31-Jan 6

Hi all, ready to kick off 2018 with a boss menu?  Here ya go!

Sunday: fancy brunch buffet because why not pack on a few more holiday pounds, amirite?
Monday: (Lunch) Braised Lentils with Sausage (Dinner) Edamame Corn Chowder
Tuesday: Pork chops with Cranberry-maple Pan Sauce, baked sweet potatoes, broccoli
Wednesday: out
Thursday:  Lemon-Dijon Salmon with green beans, red potatoes
Friday: Chickpea and Butternut Squash Curry
Saturday: leftover Christmas ham forever and ever, amen

I was able to take the week off from work for Christmas and so I had time to make Braised Lentils one day; we finished them off for lunch on Monday.  Dinner was a chowder-style soup that I had kept as an idea for a pantry-type meal--the only fresh ingredient was two small red potatoes.  My son made all kinds of faces about this one so I would not call it "kid friendly."  I served the soup with fancy multi-grain croissants from my local Earth Fare grocery store, they were heavenly.

Are you tired of me telling you about how great the recipes are in Fine Cooking magazine?  Then go find yourself another blog to read cause here's another keeper: Pork Chops with Cranberry-maple Pan Sauce.  I'm drooling already.  The pork chops came from Earth Fare--I have had good luck with their pork so far, it is so much better than what Publix carries.  I never say that stuff is "to die for" but seriously this sauce IS TO DIE FOR.  Do yourself a favor and make this one while the stores still have bags of fresh cranberries for cheap.

My son is in love with this salmon recipe that appeared in the July 2016 issue of Real Simple magazine.  It's a great concept because the sauce goes on everything: fish, beans and potatoes.  I don't care for squeaky green beans so I usually cook mine longer than the 3 minutes called for here.  Nor do I care to smell up my house and spatter grease everywhere, so I bake the salmon in the oven instead of sauteing it on the stovetop. 

You hardly need a recipe for curry sometimes; the building blocks are the same and you then add whatever vegetables that you like.  But this Chickpea and Butternut Squash Curry is a winner; it has spinach and peas along with cilantro for green appeal and has a lovely mild flavor.  We enjoy it on a cold winters night especially.

Parts of my Christmas ham still linger in the freezer, taunting me...should I turn it into a frittata? Add it to pasta with cheese sauce and peas?  Simmer the bone in a pot of vegetable soup?  Alas I see all these and more in future menus....so bear with me.

Here's to many happy dinners in 2018!



Comments

Popular Posts